There are over 95,600 young carers in NSW.[i] Knowing how to support them in an appropriate and sensitive way could make a big difference to them and their family. To assist with this, Carers NSW has developed Young Carer Awareness Training.
Training is based on Australian and international research as well as the extensive experience of Carers NSW. Training will be tailored to the needs of your organisation but workshops generally include:
- Young carer overview – who young carers are, what young carers do as part of their caring role and the impacts (both positive and negative) of being in a caring role at a young age.
- Through the Cracks: Walking in the shoes of a young carer – an experiential activity that aims to raise the awareness of young carers including their personal experiences and individual needs.
- Behind the Behaviour – a group activity that assists in identifying young carers within a school setting.
- How to support young carers – information and referral details for the Carers NSW Young Carer Program which is a state-wide service that supports young carers and their families.
- Young carer representative/ young carer panel (optional) – this section may be included, depending on the time restraints and availability of young carers.
For more information or to discuss how we can work together, please call the Young Carer Team on (02) 9280 4744 or email [email protected]. To request a workshop, please click here.