There are over 96,500 young carers in NSW.[i] Knowing how to support them in an appropriate and sensitive way could make a big difference to them and their family. To assist with this, Carers NSW has developed Young Carer Awareness Training.
Training is based on Australian and international research as well as the extensive experience of Carers NSW. Training will be tailored to the needs of your organisation but workshops generally include:
- Young carer overview – who young carers are, a statistical profile of young carers in Australia, what young carers do as part of their caring role and the impacts (both positive and negative) of being in a caring role at a young age.
- Through the Cracks: Walking in the shoes of a young carer – an experiential activity that aims to raise the awareness of service providers to the issues, experiences and needs of young carers.
- Behind the Behaviour – a group activity that assists in identifying young carers within a school setting.
- How to support young carers – information and referral details for state-wide services and supports that are available for young carers and their families.
- Young carer representative/ young carer panel (optional) – this section may be included, depending on time restraints and availability of young carers.
For more information or to discuss how we can work together please call the Young Carer Program at Carers NSW on 02 92804744 or email [email protected]. To request a workshop, please click here.